Hen acting like a Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KCutner, Oct 12, 2015.

1. KCutner

KCutner New Egg

May 3, 2014
    Murrieta, CA
    My year and a half Americana just recently started crowing like a rooster last week!?! She stopped laying a couple months ago. She and the rest of my hens are in the process of molting.
    There is a rooster that can be heard sometimes, is she mimicking the rooster?
    Just thought is was very strange!?!
    Would love some feedback!
    Thank you!
    Kristen

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I currently have a hen who is crowing, and sounding much like a young cockerel learning to crow. She's a five-year old GLW who is currently broody, a modified hormonal condition from adopting and caring for three half-grown chicks a month ago. She periodically, vents her pent up hormonal angst by crowing.

I have two other hens, both Speckled Sussex, who crow occasionally, probably because they simply feel like it.

The flock does have a rooster, so no one is trying to fill that role that I'm aware of.

Hens crow sometimes, and it can mean lots of things, but none are anything to be concerned about.

3. stronggirl

stronggirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    This year we adopted 3 buff orpingtons that were school hatched: 2 hens and a rooster. We got them when they were still chicks and of course they were very docile with us. We all ready had established chickens of several breeds and a Buff Brahma rooster. One of the BO hens starting crowing before the BO rooster. She continues to act like a rooster, mounting other hens and chasing them with the roo. She has pushed the roo off other hens. Unfortunately they have both become rather aggressive toward the other chickens, which has caused some stress. They are HUGE-almost twice the size of other chickens. I am thinking that we may need to find a different home for them...I understand the whole "pecking order", but their behavior seems pretty extreme.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have pics of the birds in question? and how old are they?

5. stronggirl

stronggirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    I think we have decided that the "hens" are actually roos. They don't have the multi-colored tail feathers but have large combs and battles...and they surely aren't laying! We have christened them Kaitlyn and Jenner.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by