Hen acting like a rooster??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenwithlips94, Aug 10, 2011.

1. chickenwithlips94

chickenwithlips94 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    My Barred Rock hen is acting like a rooster. She's even mounting my other hens. I read that they will do that when there are no roosters around, but I have 2. [​IMG] I'm wondering what's going on and if she will still lay eggs. Does anyone have experience with this?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

In a flock of all layers, it is common to have a couple of the hens become rather bossy and dominant. They often sport slightly larger combs and wattles too. They are the queen bees, that is for sure. Mine don't mount, as in copying the mating posture, but they sure are the boss of the coup. Yes, they actually lay and lay well.

3. chickenwithlips94

Aug 10, 2011
    Fred's Hens :

In a flock of all layers, it is common to have a couple of the hens become rather bossy and dominant. They often sport slightly larger combs and wattles too. They are the queen bees, that is for sure. Mine don't mount, as in copying the mating posture, but they sure are the boss of the coup. Yes, they actually lay and lay well.

That describes her and her behavior. Thanks for the info!​

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm curious as to whether either rooster mounts HER???

5. chickenwithlips94

Aug 10, 2011
    Quote:Not that I've noticed, and I've wondered the same thing. They seem to keep their distance from her.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Apparently she's too much woman for your roosters to want to try to take on at this stage...lol Do you have a photo of this queen bee??? (Just double checking gender...lol).

7. chickenwithlips94

Aug 10, 2011
    Lol! Apparently. I'll take a picture and post it as soon as I can.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] It's a dominance issue. She is asserting her dominance, she is the queen...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  9. chickenwithlips94

Aug 10, 2011
    I hope that she stops soon. I'm afraid she's going to hurt one of the other hens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by