Hen acting like drunken sailor

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Just Fluff, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Just Fluff

Just Fluff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    Saturday night when I went in to feed and put my birds to bed, I noticed that one of my hens was careening crazily around the chicken coop and slamming into things. I moved her to a solitary cage and she is eating and drinking ok. Seems to be pooping. I don't feel an egg or anything else wrong with her, but I'm not sure what to feel for.

When she tries to stand, her fanny goes up in the air and she topples over in somewhat of a somersault. I noticed yesterday and a bit more today that her right foot is starting to kinda curl up instead of lay out flat like normal. (As in her toes are curling under her foot basically.)

Does anyone have any clues as to what would be causing this? I'm honestly not sure how old she is, maybe 3 or 4 years old? I've added and lost quite a number of birds over the years due to puppies and unknown assailants, but I believe she is one of my last bunch of chicks that I got about 3-4 years ago. All of my birds are free range, and I feed them lay mash and scratch that I buy in bulk from the local feed elevator..

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Hows her weight?? Normal for her size or real lite? Hows the meat/on the breast bone?

3. Just Fluff

Just Fluff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    She is average weight for her size of bird. She isn't skinny and hasn't dropped any weight. She looks good, except for her rear end wanting to pop up over her head...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by