1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen acting like my rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elongoalie2002, Jan 29, 2013.

1. elongoalie2002

elongoalie2002 New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    I have a hen, well i think she is a hen. She has been seen chasing other hens around and I have seen other hens chasing her back. This evening I witnessed her grab the neck feathers on one of my other hens and mount her like my rooster does when he is breeding a hen. During this one of my other hens a Dominique came over and pecked the hen in question on the back to make her get off of the other hen. I will include 4 pictures I took of the hen in question to see if you think she might be a roo or if this is some kind of dominance activity? I can't remember her breed exactly but I think she is a Wyandotte Cochin cross. I can't recall seeing my rooster mount her before and I know they do not fight each other. Also I do not know if she lays eggs as I have 14 total birds and just usually find a pile of eggs in one or two of my nesting boxes.
    Thanks for your help/advice in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    110 % that is a rooster. No doubt at all in my mind. Hackle feathers, saddle feathers, tail, comb and wattles all say "ROOSTER".

Welcome to BYC.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. elongoalie2002

elongoalie2002 New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    I was affraid of that. Well my other Rooster is a Red Sex Link and he stands a good inches taller then my other birds. Do you see any issues with these two living in the same flock? I haven't seen the fight each other, but then again I am not home all day to sit and stare at them.

4. elongoalie2002

elongoalie2002 New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    sorry sex link is 8 inches taller than others

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They may or may not continue to coexist peacefully. Frequently when raised together as long as the subordinate does not challenge the dominant rooster they can get along. As the daylength increases and testosterone levels rise there is the possible of some trouble. If they fight and resolve the order, they may then again exist together. There are times when the challenge can turn into a knock down drag out that will require separating the roosters. Have a plan in mind 'just in case.'

1 person likes this.
  6. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Yep, definitely a rooster! He's pretty.

7. nickagillie

nickagillie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Roosters are great...they will do almost anything to protect the girls.

8. nickagillie

Feb 25, 2013
    If you don't have any other roosters (which it doesnt sound like you do) he'll be better than you could imagine

9. nickagillie

Feb 25, 2013
    If you already have another rooster he may cause some problems [​IMG]

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    cochins usually make a good second roo, they're generally pretty submissive and not into fighting so they let the other roo be top dog. You'll just have to watch your hens to be sure they're not overmated.

Do you want to post a pic of that Dominique, just in case?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by