Hen acting like roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hawkster318, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Hawkster318

Hawkster318 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2007
    North Freedom Wisconsin
    We just added some new layers to our flock and there is a dominant Hen (there were no roosters where she came from.)

Some of the hens show signs that she has tried to mount them, like a rooster would. She doesn't crow but is bigger and more aggressive than the others as well.

Is this common for hens? (My apologies if this has been asked a million times before. I scanned through some posts and didn't see it...)

We have a rooster who is blind in the left eye and easily spooked.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Are you sure its even a hen? You should post a pic on here.

3. Hawkster318

Hawkster318 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2007
    North Freedom Wisconsin
    Yes, I'm certain she is a hen. I'll try to get some pictures up on Weds.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I had a neighbor who had a hen act like a rooster. The hen died after awhile and the neighbor was told it was because she didn't have a rooster. She got a rooster and hasn't had anymore troubles. I'm wondering if it is a behavior problem with the dominant hen. Maybe she needs someone to keep her in line?

5. chick a la la

chick a la la New Egg

Oct 29, 2007
    A dominent hen will behave like a rooster! By now you have probably witnessed the behavior, as I have. I (inadvertently) introduced a rooster into my flock, and that behavior has disappeared.

I have a different question in a similar vein: will a hen immitate a rooster's crows? I have 2 silkies, one is a rooster. The other seems to mimic his crowing, almost like an echo. She is near the top of the pecking order although the others are all standard size...I am just hoping she is not transexual. I have heard of that happening, too. Does anyone have experience with this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by