Hen acting like rooster

rmelvin23

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
I have a 6 month old hen? I think. The only problem is that she sometimes crows very softly and I have seen her/him trying to mount one of my ladies. Has anyone else had a hen that would mount other hens? I know female dogs will mount out of dominancy, but I do not know if chickens are the same. She does look like a hen, what are the sure signs that it is a rooster? thanks.

I tried to take a pic, but I need batteries for the camera. She/he doesn't look much different from the true ladies only alittle bigger. I will get pics on asap.

Quote:
Make that "Attempt to perform the deeds a rooster will do". She may go through the actions, but it's an empty threat, so to speak!!
smile.png

I do not have a rooster. Her rooster behavior started when she got bigger than the rest of the ladies. Hen or not, if she does not stop crowing she will be gone.

When they're pullets and it is hard to tell, try looking at their feet. If his/her feet are larger than those who are definately girls then it may be a rooster you have.

Its not unheard of...my girls constantly fluff up and spread their neck feathers at my roos. The girls are the kings around here...regarless of if my roos' names are King and Prince LOL! It scares my friend because she was like "ARE YOU SURE THOSE ARE HENS!?" Uhm...yup. Looks like a hen...lays eggs like a hen....BY GOLLY SHE'S A HEN! Hahaha! I have an interesting mini flock though
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom