Hen acting like rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rmelvin23, Aug 31, 2009.

1. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    I have a 6 month old hen? I think. The only problem is that she sometimes crows very softly and I have seen her/him trying to mount one of my ladies. Has anyone else had a hen that would mount other hens? I know female dogs will mount out of dominancy, but I do not know if chickens are the same. She does look like a hen, what are the sure signs that it is a rooster? thanks.

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Are you able to post a picture?

3. rmelvin23

Jun 22, 2009
    I tried to take a pic, but I need batteries for the camera. She/he doesn't look much different from the true ladies only alittle bigger. I will get pics on asap.

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a rooster? In the chicken world, when a rooster isn't present, a hen will sometimes take over and preform the deeds a rooster will do.

5. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:Make that "Attempt to perform the deeds a rooster will do". She may go through the actions, but it's an empty threat, so to speak!![​IMG]

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Lol, yeah, good call. [​IMG] She'll try but there are some things no girl can do. [​IMG]

7. rmelvin23

Jun 22, 2009
    I do not have a rooster. Her rooster behavior started when she got bigger than the rest of the ladies. Hen or not, if she does not stop crowing she will be gone.

8. Metanoia

Metanoia Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    South Australia
    When they're pullets and it is hard to tell, try looking at their feet. If his/her feet are larger than those who are definately girls then it may be a rooster you have.

9. City Chicken Lady

City Chicken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Mongomery AL
    Quote:I have a hen that is seven months old, has been laying eggs and is now trying to mount the other three hens the same age. Weird.

10. BreezeCrestChickens

BreezeCrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Its not unheard of...my girls constantly fluff up and spread their neck feathers at my roos. The girls are the kings around here...regarless of if my roos' names are King and Prince LOL! It scares my friend because she was like "ARE YOU SURE THOSE ARE HENS!?" Uhm...yup. Looks like a hen...lays eggs like a hen....BY GOLLY SHE'S A HEN! Hahaha! I have an interesting mini flock though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by