Hen acting like rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenniePennie2, Sep 21, 2010.

1. HenniePennie2

HenniePennie2 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Oregon
    I posted prior to this about my Delaware hen taking on the role of the rooster in my flock of 7 girls. I recently purchased 2 adolescent roosters.

She is being aggressive towards them since they are not established. So I removed her from the flock and she is quarentined so to speak. She can see out the door since it is clear glass. She sits in there and crows like crazy!! I go in to see her every day, she also has fresh feed and water every day.

How long do I need to keep her there to allow the 'boys' to do their job? or is it wise to keep her seperate?

Also she has not laid any eggs for over a week. I really miss her extra large double yolkers!!

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    sometimes hens do this, are you sure she's not a rooster?

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    i don't know [​IMG] poor chicken, maybe you should put her somewhere she can't see the other birds, for a day or 2, because keeping her in view hasn't helped with her stress, she might always be a bully, hope someone on here can give you some good advice, and hopefully she'll start giving you eggs again right away when you put her back.
    gl erica

4. HenniePennie2

HenniePennie2 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:She had been laying maybe 3 absolutely huge eggs a week, plus they were all double yolkers so I know she is a hen.

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    She is probably just a very dominant hen, but should get over the tomboy behaviour in time.

How old is she? The younger that she is the quicker the roo. behaviour should stop with the real thing around.

Could you post a pic>? Does she look otherwise masculinised?

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by