Hen acting like shes drunk.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by archeryrob, May 24, 2019.

1. archeryrob

archeryrob Chirping

Aug 3, 2018
    Western Maryland
    My daughter bought 4 easter eggs at a swap. It seems to be 2 hens and two roosters. They are just coming of age now. One hen had wry neck, got nursed back and but in with the regular chickens. Then two week later she dies under the ramp and I could see she was flailing with her feet. Now the other hen was flailing in the coop on her side. She was down for a while today and I could see she pushed chips every were spinning. I got her up and she couldn't walk. Stepping on her wing and all. I got her stable and she ate some and seemed a bit better. Now she si walking with a limp on the right leg and the wings are slightly droopy. and she still doesn't see right.

Of the 4 chicks she bought this would be the second bad hen. I am not seeing anything transferred to the other chickens and we kept them separated for three weeks before putting them in with the main flock.

I am wondering if these have a genetic condition, but making assumption. The rooster seem fine.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    Sorry, but mareks is an possible option, it usually hits at that age.

3. archeryrob

archeryrob Chirping

Aug 3, 2018
    Western Maryland
    All her friends have here sold on a respiratory infection because it is so wet around here.

If it was Merek's or even a respiratory infection. Shouldn't it spread very fast? The last chicken of this group died a week and a half ago. The two roos from this same group show no signs, neither does the other 16 chickens previously here.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  4. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    It sounds like marecks:(.... That's why I wouldn't buy at swap.. I'm so, so sorry for you:(:hugs

Willowspirit likes this.
  5. The older birds might already have immunity to Mareks. The younger chickens immune systems might be stronger and fighting it off. You might consider a vet just in case.

6. archeryrob

archeryrob Chirping

Aug 3, 2018
    Western Maryland
    Yea, My daughter is worried she will loose he flock over this. Most can be replaced except for the large Brahma rooster. She has one RIR separated sitting on 8 eggs. I never heard of immunites on it before.

What I don't understand is they always talk about the eyes and hers look fine and so did the last one. If it is "Highly contagious" shouldn't it be in all of them by now? I mean, these birds have all be together now for a month or so.

I'm not paying for a vet for chickens. She can, but I'm not. I'm a livestock, deadstock like the cattle farmers I spent my time around. They always say if you have livestock, you will have deadstock. You do your best for them, but life sorts things out.

7. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    As others have said older hens can built up an immunity to the disease. As for the symptoms mareks can display itself in a number of ways.

ButtonquailGirl14 and Texas Kiki like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: