Hen acting oddly

Nippers

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
Building a playground, for chicks!
One of my hens, an EE named nippers was acting oddly for 2 days. She sat down a whole lot and acted very thirsty. She still ate vigorously. When I mean acting thirsty I mean she was panting but I suppose that's normal cause I live in Austin and this week was very hot. I think she is better now. Does anyone know about this?:idunno

I haven't found any wired poop. She isn't sitting down a lot anymore but she is still panting. It has been very hot. Last night was 90 degrees! I still haven't seen her drink. When I felt her butt I didn't feel a hard lump so I don't think it's egg binding.

Is she the only chicken panting? All my chickens pant and hold their wings out daily her in the summer because it's 100+ degrees. You may try giving them electrolytes. I use an electrolyte by Durvet on really hot days or unflavored Pedialyte if I'm all out of the Durvet. If she is pooping she probably isn't egg bound, but if she is over heated, her dropping my be watery.

Everyone is panting even my golden Campine witch is supposed to be heat hardy. I have been putting water in her beak with a syringe. She hasn't sat down for 2 or 3 days unless you count sleeping. I'm worried about her.

She isn't drinking on her own? I'm guessing she isn't eating or pooping either? No matter how heat hardy a bird is they are most likely going to pant when its that hot. As long as they have shade and water most breeds can pull through the heat, it just really depends on the particular bird itself and its tolerance level. We have a very large Wyandotte rooster that we do have to bring in if it gets 105+ outside. Can you bring her inside to a cage for a few hours so she can catch some relief? Maybe if she has some climate control she will drink herself and at the very least you can be sure to check if she is pooping normally.

I'm also in the Austin area and have been doing my best to keep my girls cool. We've just had the two hottest days of the year. My Easter eggers seem less tolerant of the heat because of their tiny combs and lack of wattles. I added another shade cloth over their shade cloth and keep spraying water in the run and have sprayed the dirt where they dust bathe. Here's the link to the thread with very helpful answers I started when I thought it was hot:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/883347/chickens-hot-wont-drink-to-stay-cool#post_13441435

Last edited:
I'm also in the Austin area and have been doing my best to keep my girls cool. We've just had the two hottest days of the year. My Easter eggers seem less tolerant of the heat because of their tiny combs and lack of wattles. I added another shade cloth over their shade cloth and keep spraying water in the run and have sprayed the dirt where they dust bathe. Here's the link to the thread with very helpful answers I started when I thought it was hot:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/883347/chickens-hot-wont-drink-to-stay-cool#post_13441435
I had no idea the combs and wattles helped in dealing with the heat. I've always noticed our EE's seem to especially have it bad in dealing with the heat. I always find them trying to stick their heads in the houses foundation ventilation holes because cool air creeps out. Interesting, thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom