Hen acting peculiar

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LeiaLayers5, Mar 13, 2017.

1. LeiaLayers5

LeiaLayers5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    This morning my husband went to check on our chickens and came across one acting out of the ordinary. One of our Cuckoos (not sure what a mix of Cuckoo) was sitting in run and seemed off. She is usually skittish and if you go her way will skit off in another direction, but today my husband walked right up to her and she did not move, she also let him just pick her up which never happens. She has a full crop, but he says she seems to be very light like shes got no weight on her. She is not eggbound that we can tell and just seems subdued......Any ideas?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? It would be good to rule out other illnesses or the chances of it being a crop problem. Being ill can itself cause a slow crop, but if she is thin, I would think she may have a crop impaction or sour crop. A blocked gizzard is also a possibility, but harder to identify before death. If you have a vet or avian vet who could see her that would be best, but expensive. She needs to be separated or brought inside in a crate. Give her water with vitamins and electrolytes. Feel her crop to check if it is hard or soft or puffy like a balloon. Vomiting a chicken can be very dangerous, but sometimes necessary, and should only be done after reading the proper way to perform it. Probiotics or a small amount of plain yogurt may be useful in crop problems. Don't give whole grains or solid food if you suspect an impacted crop. I will send you some good links to read in a few minutes.

3. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    I appreciate the help, unfortunately Minerva passed away two nights ago. She would not eat or drink of her own accord and though we got her to get some fluids by dribbling it down her throat, she was too weak and ended up passing that night.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    Thank you. My husband and I have had our share already since this year started and its been hard. Especially with 2 of 3 being predator kills. We really appreciate all the help everyone on this site gives us. We love how everyone feels the same about their animals and can really understand the feeling of loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by