Hen acting strange help! Pics added

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whitewinterwolf, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    My white rock hen, 3 years old, is acting strange.
    1. I can walk right up to her and pick her up. She is not a social hen and normally is hard to catch so this is my main indication that something is wrong.
    2. Last night she was just standing outside her coop, staring at it in the dark.
    3. She has been falling asleep standing up.
    4. And she seems top heavy. If you gently nudge her she has to regain her balance.

Now what i don't see:
    It does not feel like she has eaten.
    She is not thin
    No mites
    She does not feel egg bound
    her legs look fine apart from a slight rise which could possibly maybe be scaly leg mite if I squint at it...
    Shes not molting
    No diarrhea or signs of poop issues

She is just acting odd, and its bothering me. I just noticed her acting off yesterday night around 9 when I put my birds away. She was standing outside the coop door staring into it.
    Any ideas? What should I try/what should I do?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Anyone? Shes currently staring up at the house in the middle of the yard, she hasent moved much from the spot over the past hour :(

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    From your list of symptoms, it's hard to pin point what might be wrong. She might be just beginning to get sick, and you are seeing the first indication. What i do when i see a chicken acting off is bring them inside into a hutch, cage, or kennel. i put a heat lamp on one side, in case they are cold. i supply fresh water, chicken food, plus some mashed hard boiled eggs. This way, at least they are safe from being picked on by their flock mates. You also have the opportunity to observe them more closely and measure how much they are actually eating.

You can go ahead and treat for scaly leg mites right away by rubbing vasoline all over the legs. This won't harm her but will smother the mites, if they are there. Keep a close eye on her and see if there are any other symptoms. Because at this point, i'm afraid i don't know what might be wrong. Hopefully others will chime in with suggestions.

Please keep us posted on any changes.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh, one thought - eyesight. Could she have gone temporarily blind? That might explain her letting you pick her up and standing in the yard not moving. Move your hand in front of her face and see if she flinches.

5. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Here is an update.
    I brought her inside and she was very cold. I am hoping she will perk up with some warmth.
    She did poop for me, however it was a tiny little plop of a half hearted terd.
    I have pictures of her so you can all see, as well as her legs so we can rule out leg mites.
    I still have no idea what is wrong with her, anyone???

[​IMG]
    What is there is lierally all that came out. A tiny little black bit of poop. She keeps trying to poop also, is that a sign of being egg bound? Should I soak her butt just to be safe?

Here is her legs, any sign of bugs?
    [​IMG]

Her butt:
    [​IMG]

Here is her face, wattles and comb
    [​IMG]

What should I do now :(

P.S. Thank you for the advice Enchanted sunrise!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  6. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    That's good your keeping a careful eye on her. It does indeed sound like she's sick.

It would probably be good to give her some vitamins, minerals, electrolytes & probiotics as a general system boost.

Has she been dewormed recently?

Her legs look very good.

The lower part of her waddles looks kind of dark. I don't know if that's normal for her, but I've seen that listed as a symptom for some diseases. You could try to do a 'search' on that.

There's a page that helps with diagnosing from photos of poops/droppings that may help at:
    http://happyhenhouse.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=poop&action=display&thread=7588

I hope you're able to figure out the problem & your hen recovers well.

7. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
  8. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Ok, I gave her the baby vitamins, and im about to put electrolytes into her water. She has not been de-wormed recently, however she was dewormed last year with Valbazene.
    Ill have to look that up, the wattle thing, just in case its a symptom, but it has been cold lately.
    I hope she recovers also, how do i make eat? At the moment shes not eating anything. Shes just playing with it :(

9. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
  10. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Update: I caught her drinking her water and picking at the scrambled eggs. However she is still not eatting much. What should I do to get her to eat???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by