Hen acting strange. Vent looks weird.

HardyFamilyFarms

Chirping
Sep 15, 2019
One of our original 12 hens has been acting aggressive toward our roosters, and has been hiding in the barn all day. I picked her up to look at her, since we found some blood in the coop this morning, and her tail looks "angry." Please help us figure out what is going on with our sweet shaniqua.
20190922_141615.jpg
20190922_141448.jpg
20190922_141458.jpg

The feathers look powdery, is that from dusting her?
Hard to tell, but is there a small scab on the vent?
You can try giving her a soak in a warm epsom salts bath and spraying the affected area with Vetericyn or apply a bit or triple antibiotic ointment.
Look her over for lice/mites.

How old is this hen and how old are the roosters? You mention she is aggressive towards them - what exactly is she doing?
upload_2019-9-22_22-44-38.png

I did not dust her yesterday. I inspected one of our other hens who was staying in the barn yesterday, and sure enough, mites. Mites everywhere. I did not actually find any mites on this hen though.

Very old hen with very young roosters. She seems to not want them anywhere near her. She puffs up her little neck and tells them what for if they get too close.
I would still treat her for mites too. Do you have some Permethrin poultry spray or dust?

Ahh...yes, if she's an old hen and they are young fellas, she's going to be aggressive toward them - that's normal. :)

I did not dust her yesterday. I inspected one of our other hens who was staying in the barn yesterday, and sure enough, mites. Mites everywhere. I did not actually find any mites on this hen though.

Very old hen with very young roosters. She seems to not want them anywhere near her. She puffs up her little neck and tells them what for if they get too close.

Back
Top Bottom