Hen acting strange...

FluffyFaverolles

Songster
Nov 28, 2020
Today I went to go and collect eggs from the coop, and all the girls were chipper as usual. The problem was, one of my Faverolles is acting odd... she’s acting docile, fluffed up, but chortled when I tried to move her. They’re usually much more lively? Am I just getting to worried about something that might not be anything? She didn’t eat the greens I brought either, though she may have just eaten...
Is she broody, or is something else up? I cant tell and I didn’t get a very good vent examination. However, when I took her out of the coop to inspect her on the patio with my mom, she suddenly became much more lively and began to walk around more. I don’t think any of the hens are bullying her. I don’t notice any plucked feathers or blood, and I rarely see her getting picked on anyways... why is she being so strange?

I would remove her to a wire dog crate without bedding to try and break her, and to also determine if she is broody or if she is ill. Place food and water there and secrure them to the crate. Check her crop to make sure that it is emptying overnight. I have had broodies with slow puffy crops, so keep that in mind. Look at her for any weight loss, signs of mites or lice, and offer her some chopped scrambled egg and feed. Let us know what her poop looks like, if she is having trouble walking, or if she has any other symptoms. Here is a handy link with signs of a broody hen:
https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2016/05/top-ten-signs-of-broody-hen.html

Back
Top Bottom