Hen acting weird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JensChickies, Aug 29, 2014.

1. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    My 6 month old hen was acting fine all day. Now she doesnt want to walk too far. She will walk, but she's not enthusiastic about it. She's still eating and drinking so far, but she's not herself. She did lay this morning. She's wormed and mite/flea free. Comb and wattle are still red. Anybody have any suggestions?? I'm worried about her.

2. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Sorry a little graphic. Her vent doesn't look well. Is she prolapsed?

3. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Here is one with her vent cleaned. It looks swollen

4. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    OMG. She just laid a clear egg!!! She laid this morning. Is this normal???[​IMG]

5. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    Any body out there??

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Check her feet for Bumblefoot or Infectious Synovitis. If she has pus filled foot pads, she has Bumblefoot. If her toes, feet, and hocks are swollen, she has Infectious Synovitis. The vent looks fine to me, but I'm not an expert at those kind of things :p

1 person likes this.
  7. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014

Ok I will check. I put her in water to get all the dropping of her vent then I took her out and the next thing I know there is a soft shell egg. It caught me totally off guard!

8. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    OMG.....she passed another soft shell egg!! What's going with my hen.??? Anybody?

9. alischickens

alischickens New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    Did you ever find out what was wrong with your hen? My 6 month old Austrolop is also acting odd and I am worried. She was fine before bed last night it was very cold here in NY around 9 degrees. She hasn't laid her first egg yet so I am wondering if that is it.

10. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    Yes, she was egg bound! I brought her inside and put her in a warm bath to relax her, but it was only up to her vent, so not very much. Probably 30 minutes after I took her out of her bath she passed a soft shelled egg. Then an hour after that she passes another one, then sometime during the night she passed another one!!

She was all fluffed up and not wanting to move very much.

With your girl...what are her symptoms?? She could be egg bound, but since she hasn't laid, maybe it's something else.

Is she fluffed up, eating/drinking, runny or bloody poop, pale comb, full crop??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by