Hen acting wierd...HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alex, May 7, 2008.

1. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Hello, okay, my hen (frisky) is acting very wierd...when i aproach she growls at me...also, when my other silkie comes near frisky's face...frisky growls and trys to jump onto my other hen, in other words attack her. I dont know what is heppening, and so i was wondering if you BYC people can help me...
    Oh, and there both silkies.
    Thanks to all.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

She wants to hatch eggs (broody). You don't have a rooster, do you? You'll just have to keep taking the eggs from her until she gives up.

3. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    What if I buy some fertile eggs and put them in the nest...wil she sit on them?

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:She may... it's hard to tell. Some of them are ok with just "sort of" being broody, and others are serious about it. You could always slip a golf ball under her and see if she's serious, then buy some eggs. I'd say if she sits on a golfball for a week, she's serious. If she sits for part of the day, goes out and does other stuff for a while, and flip flops back and forth like that, she's not serious.
    Make sure she always has fresh food and water next to her nest so she doesn't starve herself. Some broodies are so serious about brooding that they will literally starve. Make sure she gets off her nest at least once a day to poop.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If she sits on the nest and doesn't want to budge, I bet she's broody. Frisky's sisters all went broody in the past month... and I've been trying to break them ever since. Break meaning keep throwing off the nest and locking out of the hutch so they cannot sit.

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I have one doing the same thing and my Roo isn't even in with the hens and she still went broody on me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by