Hen acting wierd, sort of 'Drunk Like'?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShadyGroveFarm1, Aug 7, 2014.

1. ShadyGroveFarm1

ShadyGroveFarm1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2014
    SW Virginia
    I know to post an Emergency thread you need as much info as possible, so I will try to provide as much info as I can.

So, my hen is a 3 year old Red Sex link. Yesterday she was fine, but when I went out to feed she was just sitting there by herself. I went over to her and she just stared at me blankly not making a noise. I fed the others and when she didn't come over and start eating I knew something was wrong. She feels very light (although today is the first day she is not eating) and she kinda acts like she's drunk!. She will wonder around a couple steps and then stop and just stare at the roof of the coop or just stare blankly into the distance, then she'll lie down and then get back up and do it all over again.

She is acting almost like she has no idea what is going on around her whatsoever. I thought maybe she was dehydrated, so I tried to get her to drink, but she wont. All the other chickens are fine and none of them have been sick with anything for like 4 months and that chicken had Internal Egg laying (which she died of, but that is normal in 3 year old RSL's). And I've had a few chickens with internal egg laying and she shows no signs of it.

Please help,
    SGF1

2. Wol1

Wol1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2014
    SW Ohio
    Sounds a bit neurological. Is her keel very pointy compared to the other birds? They can hide illness for a long time. You might want to put her in a carrier or dog crate and cover with a dark cloth to let her rest. Try giving her a wet mash from feed mixed with water/electrolyte/probiotics powder. Mine will eat this when they will eat nothing else and it seems to help give them strength.

It could be head trauma. Or some kinds of lesions in the brain can cause them to wander in circles. Do her pupils react to light? Lead toxicity also causes neurological symptoms. Fishing weights, shower curtain weights, linoleum, mirror backs, galvanized wire, hardware cloth, old plaster impregnated with lead...Possibly zinc - staples, newer pennies, hardware cloth zinc coated hardware.

3. Wol1

Feb 28, 2014
    SW Ohio
    Any updates?

4. ShadyGroveFarm1

Jul 25, 2014
    SW Virginia
    Sorry I haven't posted. Thanks for your concern. But she died yesterday :(

But, even though she is gone, I'd still be glad to know why she died. Last evening (the last time I checked before she died) she just lied there and then she would turn her neck almost all they way around just to look at me. Her eyes looked different too, almost like the red in her eyes way darker? or more vibrant?. It was kinds creepy.

5. Wol1

Feb 28, 2014
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry.

Your state lab can do a necropsy and tell you what it was.

6. ShadyGroveFarm1

Jul 25, 2014
    SW Virginia
    I have already buried it. I don't want to take her to a lab. It costs too much, I don't want to do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by