Hen after laying has a foraging frenzy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dgrundy14, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Dgrundy14

Dgrundy14 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2016
    Leeds, Alabama
    My hens, RIR and BSL just started laying this week. Exciting! But now those hens forage like it's their last time. I feed them layer crumbles but they aren't eating it like they used too. Is this normal or are they lacking some vitamins? Thanks for all your help!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It's not something that i have noticed with any of my new layers, but i certainly would not consider it anything to worry about. I much prefer my birds to forage, rather than sit at the feeder - both for nutritional and behavioural reasons. They may well calm down a little, once they become accustomed to laying.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They need to eat more when producing eggs, you'll notice a significant increase in size of their poops too.
    Could a be foraging 'frenzy' because plants are just starting to grow and insects are emerging?

How long have they been on layer and were they on starter or grower before??
    Layer can be low in protein and they may be reacting to the change there.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My hens almost always run off to eat the minute they exit the nest box.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    True Dat^^^

6. Dgrundy14

Dgrundy14 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2016
    Leeds, Alabama
    They were on starter grower and now on layer feed. They just started laying this week. Thanks for your input.

7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Mine too. They have to stop by the feeder on the way out, grab several mouthfuls, wash it down with a good drink, and then they're ready to go again.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by