Hen aggressive toward us! What to do?

TNmom

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
I have had it with this girl! I have a 1 year old NHR. I actually have 4, and the other 3 are wonderful sweet birds. However she is horrible! She regularly comes after me, my husband, and our kids. And we dont back down. We treat her as if shes an aggressive roo and have shoved her, kicked her, shood her with brooms etc. This morning i reached in to gather the eggs and she nailed me on my wrist. I pushed her back and she came right back at me, so i kicked her back, and she came back at me again. So i took my bucket and shoved her out of the coop. I am really disliking this bird! Anyone want her? LoL. Any suggestions? Oh and shes never aggressive toward the other hens. Just us people. I don't understand how the other girls love us so much and she hates us!

My advice: Wear gloves, pick her up often & carry her around. She'll get to know that you are the boss. In my experience, kicking just tells a chicken that "the fight is on!"

Hen and Dumplings.
smile.png

Or find someone to take her.... I cant eat MY own birds, but I think if i was being attacked I'd make an exception!

If she really is annoying, make a small coop and run if you have room and keep her in there. Otherwise try handling her and taming her slowly.
Aggressive behaviour and kicking isn;t the way to go, even if you may feel like it. Its just like a horrid child, giving it a spanking will only make it hate you more. I don't really believe in culling birds because just as an angry person, she has every right to live even if she is a right pain in the butt. Sorry if I seem a
softie.
tongue.png

Last edited:
She'd be soup if she was mine. BUT, if you want to spend time working it out with her, everytime she comes at you, grab her, flip her upside down, and carry her around by her legs for a bit. This will teach her that you humans are the boss. NOT HER. She needs a lesson like that.

It takes time, but that technique definitely works, and if it doesn't, OFF WITH HER HEAD! LOL

Sharon

I was having the same problem with one of my hens. Getting rid of her is not a option. I only have two Black Star hens. I raised both of them by hand since they were 2 days old and they were handled a lot. One of my hens (Myrtle) is very calm and friendly. The other hen (Wanda) was calm and friendly untill she became 5 months old and started laying eggs. Both have free range in my large backyard. On the advice from one of my co-workers when she started to become aggressive I would grab her, hold her down on her back against the ground for 30 seconds and had a come to Jesus talk with her. After doing this 3 times she is now the nice calm friendly girl she used to be. I hope that helps.

Is she showing any signs of going broody? That could be just her hormones kicking in, and as others have said, fighting with her will not solve the issue, it will only teach her that you are something dangerous.

We'd just laugh at her. Mad hens are funny.
Pick her up and pet her (whether she likes it or not). Also, make her jealous and give treats to the other hens. She (hopefully) will want to endear herself to you to get what her sisters are getting.
You could also get a rooster; she may be trying to take over the role of "rooster". Some hens will do that, I've heard.

Back
Top Bottom