Hen aggressive without rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ashley.vb.rogers, Jul 9, 2010.

1. ashley.vb.rogers

ashley.vb.rogers New Egg

May 10, 2010
    Fort Collins
    I woke up this morning to what sounded like my hens being attacked. I went out to the coop to see what was happening and let them out and found that all the hens (including the pullets who have been sleeping in nest boxes their whole lives) were cowering up on the roosts while one big hen chased our little silkie all over the coop and pecked her mercilessly. This is a hen who I have known to be a little mean, but it seems that since three of our hens went broody and we got rid of our rooster that she's gotten extremely aggressive, especially toward the mother hens and chicks. At this point, she won't let a chick walk by her without pecking it. Our silkie has lost all the feathers on her neck.

Does anyone have experience with this situation? I'm planning to give her away to relieve the stress on the flock and I just separated her from the other girls, but is this a pecking order that will just re-establish itself once she's gone?

Any advice is appreciated!!

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like she's just trying to be the big boss and take over. Hens will do this when a rooster is not (or no longer) present. But, yes, a group can function without someone being the big meanie. [​IMG] Alot of times, however, someone WILL try to take over and present themselves as the dominant bird. We had alot of aggressive hens in our group that picked on my beloved favorites as well at the rooster! I became sick of their antics and gave them to friends. Our group is alot more civil and calm now that they are not there. I cannot speak for your group as every one is a little different.

Expect fighting now that yet another bird is gone. There will always be fighting so long as the flock is out of order. Hopefully, not even remotely as bad as it is right now, for your birds' sakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by