1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

hen always mounting other hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickbliss7, Dec 28, 2009.

1. chickbliss7

chickbliss7 In the Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    I have 6 hens of mixed breeds. My Ameracauna, Flora, has developed a habit in the last few months of mounting my much larger Buff Orpington, Peggy, and humping her! The BO doesn't seem to mind, and squats for the "would-be" rooster-hen, but Peggy's back feathers are getting plucked out and she's getting bald! Flora doesn't do this with any of the other hens. Is there anything I can do to stop this behavior and let Peggy's back feathers grow back? There's no blood, thankfully, just missing feathers. The Ameracauna is going through a mild moult, and is behaving aggressively about food. Generally, all six chickens get along and I've never had this problem before. Any ideas to try?

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Are you sure you don't have a rooster there? Some pics would be great.....

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I think it's pretty normal behavior. A couple of options are seperate them or a chicken saddle for Peggy.

Imp

4. chickbliss7

chickbliss7 In the Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Well, I know Flora's not a rooster because she's been laying eggs (and still does) for more than a year! Where do you get chicken saddles and do they mind wearing them?

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by