hen always mounting other hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickbliss7, Dec 28, 2009.

1. chickbliss7

chickbliss7 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    I have 6 hens of mixed breeds. My Ameracauna, Flora, has developed a habit in the last few months of mounting my much larger Buff Orpington, Peggy, and humping her! The BO doesn't seem to mind, and squats for the "would-be" rooster-hen, but Peggy's back feathers are getting plucked out and she's getting bald! Flora doesn't do this with any of the other hens. Is there anything I can do to stop this behavior and let Peggy's back feathers grow back? There's no blood, thankfully, just missing feathers. The Ameracauna is going through a mild moult, and is behaving aggressively about food. Generally, all six chickens get along and I've never had this problem before. Any ideas to try?

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Are you sure you don't have a rooster there? Some pics would be great.....

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I think it's pretty normal behavior. A couple of options are seperate them or a chicken saddle for Peggy.

Imp

4. chickbliss7

chickbliss7 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Well, I know Flora's not a rooster because she's been laying eggs (and still does) for more than a year! Where do you get chicken saddles and do they mind wearing them?

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by