hen and chicks in cold weather

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 3dogcp, Dec 3, 2013.

1. 3dogcp

3dogcp Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2013
    My little silkie is just now hatching 3 eggs. It has been going down in the low 30's at night. I have a heat lamp in her small coop. Will it be alright for the chicks? Will she beable to keep them warm? I don't know yet how many will hatch, only one is hatching right now.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    She'll be able to keep them warm. If you use a heat lamp, I would hang it above food and water so they can comfortably eat and drink when they're not under her. I wouldn't put it above her as she could get too hot. She's already about 103 degrees. If she's in a hot nest and goes out to a cold spot it could be stressful for her.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

What you are doing is more then most for the baby's
    and I do agree with ChickenCanoe the mother is hot
    enough and the heat lamp on her would just be more
    stress that she dose not need right now and if she
    can hatch the eggs she can care for the chicks just
    fine the important thing now is the wind wetness &
    safety for others if you have this then job well dune
    and keep up the good work ........

gander007

4. 3dogcp

3dogcp Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2013
    She is in a small enclosed coop for 3 or 4 chickens, by herself. The heatlamp is not directly over her ,but in the center high up in the peak. She is in a nesting box over to the side. The heat lamp keeps the water from freezing.

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

You are doing it all correctly and the new additions to
    your family should do just fine ......

gander007

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A high up heat lamp isn't going to have much impact. Hot air rises.
    I'm not a big fan of giving heat to a broody but in freezing temps I like to put the heat close enough to the food and water that if you put your hand at chick height above the feed you can feel it.

7. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    The broody doesn't need the heat. In cold weather i like to put the heat/light more over the food and water. I have a small broody box with a pen attached. I stapled plastic on 2 sides, leaving some ventilation. Then I hung the heat lamp near a bucket on it's side, with the food and water. The 3 week old chicks come out with mama all day, then at bedtime get in the box under her, no heat. We have had temps down to 14 F. I must say I have NEVER seen my chicks feather out as fast as these ones!

[​IMG]

8. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Be careful of heat lamps. The hen is so much taller, and well insulated with feathers. She can scorch or ignite without even noticing. Put a guard on the lamp

9. heritagegirls1

heritagegirls1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    Knutsford BC, Canada
    My chicks are due to hatch on Sunday the 9th. I'm up in Canada and I was hoping the weather was going to to warm up by then, but currently it -25 C (-13 F) outside. I already have a heat lamp in the coop close to my hen 4 feet above her. Wondering if I should plug in a second one until this cold snap heads (more) North!
    The coop is well insulated but it is still pretty cold in there...
    Any advice would be appreciated as this is my first hatch and I would hate to have any losses due to the cold.

10. cwalsh2

cwalsh2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Hermosa South Dakota
    As long as you keep it warm enough to keep the water from freezing, the hen will do the rest.I have no experience with that defective feathered stuff, but my games, Doms, Phoenix, Americaunas Etc always done fine, even when I had to dump a little Ice in the morning.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by