1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen and chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Leigti, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I have chickens of various ages. My six month old australorp seems very interested in my six week old chicks. I put the checks out in a small pin where the other chickens can see them. The one hen just keeps walking around and around the pin and has every time I put it out there. She doesn't seem aggressive towards the chicks at all. I am building a new coop, hopefully it will be done in two or three weeks. Then I plan on integrating all the chickens together in it. They range in age from two years to six weeks. Do you think this chicken will protect the little ones?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I doubt that the pullet will protect the chicks. Six weeks is a little on the young side for integration into an established flock.

3. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    They will be 9 weeks or so. Is that old enough
    Or should i wait? They will be kept next to the others for about 3 weeks before they would be on the new coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by