hen and dog, odd behavior?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by peepie, Nov 14, 2007.

1. peepie

peepie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2007
    pacific northwest
    I have a 7 month old buff orpington hen that I can only assume is coming into her own as I caught my dog unusually "interested" in her and watched him attempt to mount her much to my surprise. I brought him inside right away of course but I can't believe what I saw! The terrible thing is they both have free range in the yard so someone is going to have to suffer and be enclosed.
    Has anyone else delt with something like this? Any tips on discouraging my dog? He has been fixed since he was a pup and is now 5 years old. I'm scared he's going to kill her with his "loving" if I'm not there all the time.

2. purplebaby

purplebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    my boy dog will mount a stuffed animal if it stays in one place too long... i am of no help... sorry but that is quite the visual

3. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    HAHAHAHAHAA!!! OMG, I have tears in my eyes. I am SOOO sorry for your chicken. I can honestly say I have never had that problem. A little good clean chicken chasing, sure... but never... HAHAHA!!!

Ok ok, I've got it together now. I doubt it has anything to do your hen's ... er.... development. I don't have a good explanation though. Is he a regular humper? I have 4 dog in my house, 2 male, 2 female, one each intact and fixed... they all lift their legs to pee, and they all are incorrigible humpers to varying degrees. Some people think it's about sex, some think it's a dominance behavior. I suspect that some dogs just like doing it.

I'd say get your dog a little more exercise. Supervise them when loose together, and redirect the dog if he seems inappropriately interested, and not worry too much. Dogs are dogs after all! [​IMG]

4. peepie

peepie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2007
    pacific northwest
    The funny thing is he's not a regular humper at all! He did it a handful of times as a puppy and that was it. My other dog was a stud for three years and he hasn't given the chickens a second glance. It's so bizarre, I don't know what's gotten into him. They were so cute interacting before, the chicks would clean out his coat while he was sleeping. Now this...
    I will have to work on getting him out more, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by