hen and her new babies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mother of All, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    OK my girl had 6 eggs, the first one hatched 12 days ago and the fifth one hatched 3 days ago. she left the last egg yesterday so I took it today. QUESTION. Mother is wanting out of the dog house where I have her and the babies. Do I leave her is there with the babies?, or do I let her out? and if so will she want back in? Do I raise the babies? What do I do?? This will be the forth generation the third separate group I have at the moment.

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If the hatch seems to be done and all the chicks are mobile, you can probably let them out for a bit. I'd leave the door open so they can get back in, though. If 'out' means with other chickens, be sure you keep an eye on them for a while after letting them out, to make sure no one goes psycho and kills the new chicks. Chickens have been raising chickens for a lot longer than you have been raising chickens, so if she's not killing them off, just let her raise them up. Less work for you!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by