1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen and rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gilmore Farms, May 11, 2016.

1. Gilmore Farms

Gilmore Farms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Hello, I am looking at these 2 lavender orpington's the person I am buying them from thinks they are a hen and rooster. Do you think they are correct? I want them to sell fertilized eggs so I hope there right!

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    The one on the left is definitely a cockerel with that comb. Fairly confident that the other is a pullet, but sometimes you get late bloomers...but it's not showing male traits yet anyway.

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I would have to say one cockerel and one pullet as well. Looking at the size of the comb on the left one this make him the cockerel.

4. Gilmore Farms

Gilmore Farms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2015
    Ok so I will be adding this rooster in with a total of 21 hens. Will he be able to keep them all fertilized?

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    No the normal ratio is 8-10 hens pre Rooster. Any more and he can not keep them all fertilizer. He will pick his favorites and stick with them most of the time. These hens will then be bald from so much attention. I would try to get a second Rooster.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    No one can accurately answer this question. Some males are content with just 2 or 3 hens. Some wouldn't be satisfied with 30. You won't know for sure until he matures.

7. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Actually he can keep 21 hens fertile.My roosters can do it,and im almost positive any other responsible rooster can too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by