Hen aren't laying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cndshaw, Nov 13, 2016.

1. cndshaw

cndshaw New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    My hens are 2 1/2 years old. They were always good layers. They haven't laid a single eggs in almost 2 months. I haven't changed anything. I have had hens for years and this baffles me. They are the picture of health. They eat well drink plenty and have a safe place to roost. What could be causing this?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Are they molting? It's currently molting season in a lot of places. It's also possible they are just taking a break - birds will do that. The decreased daylight and colder weather occurring in most places right now will also take a steep toll on production.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I agree with the advice of QueenMisha...decreased daylight and molting really knock back egg production. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

4. cndshaw

cndshaw New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    We are in south tx. The weather here is still in the mid to high 70's. They are not molting. I don't have any idea what this could be. Thank you all for your thoughts. I'm hoping someone can give me some insight. I even have a couple that will sit in the nests but never lay an egg.

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! By the time a hen reaches 2½ years old, her laying life is certainly slowing down quite a bit. What breed are they? Have predators been terrorizing them? Are your hens free ranging, and maybe hiding eggs? I hope you figure out what is wrong, and enjoy BYC!!

6. cndshaw

cndshaw New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    The breeds are buff orphington, rir, barred rock, and red sex link. No predator issues. They get to free range on the weekends while we are home. I don't like them to be out when no one is here. Thanks for your info.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Is it possible that you have an egg eater in the flock?

9. cndshaw

cndshaw New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    There is no sign of any shell or wetness from cracked eggs in the meat boxes. That was what I thought for awhile but I don't really see signs of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by