Hen ate a MOUSE, now seems sick!

ValandChickens

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2019
Kemptville ONTARIO Canada
One of my Lavender Orpington Hens ate a mouse 4 days ago, she somewhat choked on it (appeared too). Within a few seconds she swallowed, and went and drank LOADS of water, then sneezed for a minute or so. I figured she got water in her nostrils.
Day 3, she was sneezing a bit during the day, which I had just done a large coop clean I thought maybe she was reacting to that. Now it’s day 4, she’s breathing rapidly and sneezing a lot.
She isn’t gasping for air, or coughing. Normal poops, has an appetite and runs around. I free range all my birds.
Thoughts? I worry this may be aspiration pneumonia.
Anyone been through this?

Attachments

• F804795D-B7F5-41B1-A738-3616DD197614.jpeg
    F804795D-B7F5-41B1-A738-3616DD197614.jpeg
    505.8 KB · Views: 14
  • CF6BA811-9F3F-44FE-A488-F24F2D731462.jpeg
    CF6BA811-9F3F-44FE-A488-F24F2D731462.jpeg
    584.5 KB · Views: 6
One of my Lavender Orpington Hens ate a mouse 4 days ago, she somewhat choked on it (appeared too). Within a few seconds she swallowed, and went and drank LOADS of water, then sneezed for a minute or so. I figured she got water in her nostrils.
Day 3, she was sneezing a bit during the day, which I had just done a large coop clean I thought maybe she was reacting to that. Now it’s day 4, she’s breathing rapidly and sneezing a lot.
She isn’t gasping for air, or coughing. Normal poops, has an appetite and runs around. I free range all my birds.
Thoughts? I worry this may be aspiration pneumonia.
Anyone been through this?
Any facial swelling, mucous?
How long have you had her?
Have you added any new chickens in the last 30 days?
Have you ever had respiratory illness in your flock?

Look inside her beak for signs of canker, mucous or yellow/white pasty material.
Check her crop, what does it feel like-is it empty in the morning?

Photos of her poop?

No to all of your top questions!
Crop has felt normal.
She looks to me like shes dropped weight over the past 2 days or so. She’s also carrying her tail low today. Will get a picture of her poop as soon as possible.

I have seen chickens sneeze after eating dusty, fine feed but never after eating a mouse. Could the mouse have ingested poison before being consumed by the hen?

No to all of your top questions!
Crop has felt normal.
She looks to me like shes dropped weight over the past 2 days or so. She’s also carrying her tail low today. Will get a picture of her poop as soon as possible.
Holding the tail low - when did she last lay an egg?
Looks like she's dropped weight - can you weigh her now and track that daily to see if she really is losing weight.

No chance the mouse ate poison. I don’t poison rodents on my property, and it was a tiny young little mouse. Almost a baby mouse.
It’s raining today and she seems to be sneezing a little less, but is puffing her feathers a lot and shaking her head. Allergies?

Can you get a video? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

How often is she sneezing? Do you notice her sneeze when she's been eating/drinking?

Chickens don't really have allergies, though some things in their environment can cause some respiratory symptoms - ammonia, dusty coops with poor ventilation, molds, etc.
Respiratory diseases are the most common cause of birds that exhibit symptoms.

Can you tell us when she last laid an egg?
Holding the tail low - when did she last lay an egg?
Looks like she's dropped weight - can you weigh her now and track that daily to see if she really is losing weight.

Ill try to get a video. She’s sneezing all throughout the day.
From my own research it seems they can have environmental sensitivities, although rare. My coop is probably the cleanest coop you’ll ever see. It doesn’t smell, and I take all precautions to ensure they have a good environment. My girls free range 3/4 of the day, out on grass and have good feed.

Back
Top Bottom