1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen ate poo - Will she be okay?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheSpiceGirls, Sep 15, 2011.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    My poor Buff Orpington was having a bad morning this morning. I only go out briefly in the mornings to scoop up the previous night's droppings from the house. And then I'll pick up the larger droppings around the run to try and keep it clean. If I come across a cecal dropping, I use my scoop to put some dirt or sand on it and then scoop it up. Well, I had just put some dirt on it when she came flying up behind me, ran around and when she saw I was about to scoop, she took a big bite. YUCK!!!

She shook her head and wiped her beak and shook her head. I just felt awful for her.

So I let her and only her out of the run to go back to the garage with me and I set the meal worm tub on the floor for her to help herself to a few. Get that nasty taste out of her mouth. Well, I put the tub back up on the table and she clearly wasn't done because she jumped up on the table, slide off, landed on the ice chest which fell over and she fell to the floor in a splat of feathers.

I carried her back to the run and put her back in with her sisters but I just feel awful for her.

Do I need to worry that she took a bite of poo this morning?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Heck no! [​IMG] You know what they say SH#% happens! [​IMG]

I'm so sorry! I just couldn't help myself! [​IMG] That'll happen every now and again.....Not to worry!

3. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope. If the poop was from a chicken with worms, then maybe, but generally if any of your chickens has worms, then they all do. Don't be surprised if your chickens do this occasionally.

4. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:OMG, that's so bad. You could just see the horrified look on her face. They say chickens don't have a good sense of taste but I beg to differ.
    I'm glad she'll be okay. She's my favorite.

5. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Yep chickens aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer! She should be fine though.

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:OMG, that's so bad. You could just see the horrified look on her face. They say chickens don't have a good sense of taste but I beg to differ.

I just had to tease you a little bit! I'm so glad you have a good sense of humor! [​IMG] I'll try to behave next time.....[​IMG]

7. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA

I just had to tease you a little bit! I'm so glad you have a good sense of humor! [​IMG] I'll try to behave next time.....[​IMG]

Oh, you are fine. And I figured she'd be fine. I mean, as hard as I try and keep their run clean, the reality is there have to be bits of poo everywhere and they scratch and dust bathe in it. But I still had to ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by