Hen attacked by dog, crop exposed. Recovery likely?

Linneapg

Hatching
May 22, 2020
One of my year-old barred rock hens was attacked by a dog. Lots of skin missing in her chest/under-wing area. Most of her crop is exposed and just hanging out (seems intact though, I only see deeper puncture wounds in the muscle tissue next to the crop). There's a second wound on the other side of her neck, also with some exposed muscle but it doesn't look as bad. I used Vetericyn plus wound & skin care spray, then antimicrobial hydrogel. Topped with turmeric. She made it through the night and looks... Ok. Not moving much, mostly alert but periods of dozing. She is isolated in a dog crate in the run with food and water. I've seen her drinking but haven't seen her eat yet. Is a wound with this much exposed organ likely to heal?

Attachments

• IMG_20200522_085028.jpg
    IMG_20200522_085028.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for your take. I've dealt with missing feathers and small puncture wounds before but nothing like this... How does skin even regrow over so much exposed area?

Welcome to BYC, sorry your hen was injured. They can recover from horrific injuries if you can keep infection from setting in and provide supportive care of needed (heat and tube feeding). Here are some pictures of wounds for you to look at: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wounds-pictures-of-how-they-heal.1325817/

Thank you! Looking through those photos gave me legitimate hope of recovery. I'm not super emotionally attached but I'd love to see her make it. Based on what I've read I will bring her crate into our basement to help reduce risk of infection.

Back
Top Bottom