Hen attacked by dog on Thanksgiving, very weak today advice needed.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by r4eboxer, Nov 26, 2011.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Two stray dogs attacked my flock on thanksgiving day. One hen was killed and another was wounded. I cleaned the wound with peroxide and kept her in the house the first night. I let her out to be with the other girls yesterday and she was moving around and drinking but I don't think she was eating much. I brought her in last night with me and this morning she is very lethargic. I made up some chick saver and forced her to take some. It wasn't much and she is having a hard time keeping her eyes open. She can stand and she did call for her sisters but now she is just sleeping. I plan to force chick saver down her on the hour but what do I do about food? Is the chick saver enough for now?

I do not plan on finding a vet as it will be too expensive but want to try to save her.

We have our guns loaded and ready for any returns from the dogs I am not putting up with irresponsible dog owners or strays. [​IMG]

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I wouldn't put her out--give her time to rest and heal. Put her in a nice, quiet area in the dark--this will help her rest and heal. Give her plenty of fresh food and water. Good luck!

3. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    [email protected]@2four :

I wouldn't put her out--give her time to rest and heal. Put her in a nice, quiet area in the dark--this will help her rest and heal. Give her plenty of fresh food and water. Good luck!

I have kept her in all morning putting saver down her. She wouldn't eat and when her sisters came to the door for a treat she started calling them. She perked up after the electrolytes I gave her and I hoped she would eat so I put her with her sisters and she partook of the grapes I was handing out with them but when I tried to give them to her alone she would have no part in eating. She had a good many grapes and is now mixing with the chickens. She is moving slow but at least she is eating now. I am keeping her in the small chicken run and will bring her in at dusk. It is going to be 67 degrees today and I think the fresh air and her flock will do her well. The wound has healed very well in just two days. It is closed and has just a very small amount of scab and it is not bloody scab either. She needs to gain some strength and grow some feathers back and I think she will be fine.​

4. burbankchix

burbankchix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    California
    Years ago, a dog attached the only chicken I owned. When I found her, she had a big hole on her upper chest and the dog had mauled her neck and right ear. I sprayed Bactine (of all things!) all over her wounds and put her in the garage with food and water. The next day or so, the maggots were eating away at the dead skin and, even though gross, I just let them at her. Within a few days she was a good as new, all healed up and no PTSD seemingly! Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by