hen attacked by dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by girls and guineas, Mar 21, 2012.

1. girls and guineas

girls and guineas Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    northern GA
    my hen was attacked by a dog today. She lost alot of feathers and has some bare skin and open sores. I put antibiotic cream on her. Don't know if I covered all the injured areas. What can I do to treat her and help her heal??

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Keep her away from the other chickens so they don't peck at her, put hydrogen peroxide or antibiotic cream on her every day. Also put Blu-Kote on it to keep flies and stuff from bothering it, and mix in Terramycin (poultry antibiotic powder) with her water. If you want to make sure she gets a lot of the Terramycin, pour the Terramycin-water in some chicken food or bread or oats - she'll be happy and it'll help.

3. girls and guineas

Nov 30, 2011
    northern GA
    Thanks for your info. I will have to get some Terramycin. I'd never heard of Blu-Kote until tonight. I have her separated in a cage, and I put antibiotic cream on her, but don't know if I got it on all the injured spots. Hopefully, she will be all right in a few days. I just feel terrible for her. It was the neighbor's dog!!

4. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Definitely talk to your neighbors about keeping their dog locked up; he knows there are "toys" at your house, so he'll probably try to get back. If you don't know if you got all of the injured spots, definitely check and double check. There could easily be a small, deep puncture wound that you didn't notice, which could get infected. I lost my favorite rooster when he mysteriously got a puncture wound under his wing that I didn't notice until it was infected and started to smell [​IMG]

5. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Man, BYC is great. I am still amazed that simply asking a question gathers responses from friends with knowledge, experience and advice.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Tenderft chick

Tenderft chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    We had our Americana attacked and she had her butt tore wide open to the bone. We daily cleansed with Nolvasan which you mix with water til you get a nice light blue color. Don't need a lot, I see all the time at Menards.

After the cleansing we put on Watkins petro carbo salve or neomicin ointment.

Kept her inside in dog kennel until healed about 2 weeks and back to new other than a bald spot where all the feathers were torn up.

7. girls and guineas

Nov 30, 2011
    northern GA
    I called several pet stores and 1 feed store trying to find Terramycin. One person told me I needed to get a perscription from a vet. Is this the only way to get it? We got some spray med. from a feedstore--costs $30!! It seems to work okay--time will tell!! It works good to have the spray. It's hard to get the antibiotic ointment on all the places. Am feeding her more protein foods too, fried egg, yogurt, whey protein, and have put my vitamins in her water.
    Wonder if I could put hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle?? It would have been alot cheaper!! Does it sting??
    I'm hoping and praying for her recovery!!

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I have been told that hydrogen peroxide is rather harsh. Also that the antibiotic cream is usually enough. Call feed stores for the terramycin rather than pet stores.

9. chikinfarmr

chikinfarmr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    Southern tip of Illnois
    Shoot the dog with a paintball gun. Sends a nice message to the owner, and non-lethal.

10. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Paintball gun is a great idea. I will have to remember that. I've had 2 close calls with dogs-- 1 a Husky, the other 2 little yappy terriers. Where can you find a paintball gun to buy cheap?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by