Hen attacked by hawk. Need injection advice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PumpknMoonshine, Dec 12, 2013.

1. PumpknMoonshine

PumpknMoonshine Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    Texas
    My Polish hen Frieda was attacked by a red tail 2 days ago and spent two nights at an,animal hospital. Her back and behind is sutured so handling her is a delicate process. The vet gave me pre measured syringes of gentamicin for two more days and baytril for the 3 following with silvadene ointment to put on the wounds. The needles are about half an inch long, my question is how far do i penetrate the skin? The vet showed me but i am terrified i will do it incorrectly since i am injecting her on her back into fatty skin tissue. He said i could do it in her breast muscles but that would be tricky as well due to her battle wounds. I know i sound like a big baby but does anyone have any advice to make this easier? My vet is far away and the one near by actually said " we don't deal in no aviation" ummmm, yah. I'm talking about a chicken, not a helicopter.... Any kind of input or suggestion would be appreciated.

2. PumpknMoonshine

Jun 19, 2012
    Texas
    Nevermind. Got it handled.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. PumpknMoonshine

Jun 19, 2012
    Texas
    Thank you so much!! I'm such a weenie I've been driving that poor little thing to my father's house cause they had a diabetic dog who had insulin shots daily. He said the chicken is way easier. This site is helpful!!!

5. ChickenGirl26

ChickenGirl26 New Egg

Jul 16, 2013
    Poor baby! Hope she heals soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by