1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen attacked by other chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kitty, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Kitty

Kitty New Egg

Jan 21, 2008
    Jonesboro, AR
    I have one hen, Big Red, that is being attacked by my other 6 chickens (3 hens and 3 roosters.) It's gotten so bad that a few weeks ago I had to move her to the back of the barn by herself. It's like they're trying to to kill her! I've had her and 4 of the other chickens for a couple of years and 2 of the young ones (both roosters) were hatched last summer. Every time I try to reintroduce her to the flock, they start attacking her and pecking at her. She just puts her head down and takes it. Does she have something wrong with her that the other chickens detect that I can't see? Will I ever be able to move her back with the other chickens? I feel sorry for her all by herself.

2. Astrid

Astrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    I'm sorry your poor hen (and you!) are going through this! I'm by no means an expert, but it sure seems like you've got too many roos.
    I'm sure someone else with WAAAAY more knowledge than I will be able to help you. Good luck; I hope you soon find peace in the valley!

Astrid

3. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I had that problem last month, I do not have Roos.

It is just the pecking order. I was lucky I was able to give it back to the lady that gave it to me. I am sure they would have killed it.
    You have to keep them apart but near enough the others can see her. They get used to her and they may leave her alone. I got that from a so called expert.

Good luck, I know how you feel, the poor thing.

[​IMG]

4. hb

hb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    SF Bay Area, California
    I'm sorry to hear about Big Red. It's so heartbreaking to see a nice chicken getting along well with the rest of the group, to suddenly become the outcast.

Where was she in the pecking order before you introduced the new roos?

Is she older or younger than the other three girls.

It could be the survival of the fittest being hashed out in your coop.

She's the only one without a rooster to hook up with.

Maybe too many roosters?

I wish all the best for Big Red.

5. Kitty

Kitty New Egg

Jan 21, 2008
    Jonesboro, AR
    Big Red is the same age as two of the other hens. I got her and her sisters shortly before the third hen. They've all gotten along good for about two years. Maybe I'll think about giving the two younger roosters away.[​IMG] I hate to since I've raised them from eggs. I get too attached to all of my pets! Thanks for all the suggestions.

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    You might try adding one bird at a time to her area. Put the bullies off their guard by putting them in the area where Big Red is dominant. Maybe add 1 per week until they're all in back of the barn together, or until you know who the troublemaker is. After they're all together again, move Big Red and one or two that she gets along with back to the coop, let them establish it as theirs for a few days, then start bringing the others back one at a time. From what I've read, it's best to do these things at night, when they're too sleepy to protest.

If you don't want to find new homes for the younger roos, maybe they can live behind the barn together. If they don't have any hens around hopefully they won't fight with each other.

7. Kitty

Kitty New Egg

Jan 21, 2008
    Jonesboro, AR
    Good idea! I'll give that a try. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by