Hen attacked by others in the flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lorettachick, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Lorettachick

Lorettachick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    Southern Middle TN
    I have a beautiful Australorp hen that has 3 mo old chicks. She was the best mother but started to peck at them and push them away and she was also laying again so I put her back with the main flock. All was fine for the first week...I only noticed one other hen that was pecking at her. Well, we went out of town overnight this weekend and I came home to a very injured hen. She has a hole in her back and I think even broken bones. She was very weak but I put her back with her babies and she is eating and drinking but hasn't attempted to get up yet. There are 3 roosters in the flock too so I don't know which one attacked her or if it was several. Will I ever be able to put her back with them again? What can I put on the wound? Why would they do this after more than a week back?

2. hrhta812

hrhta812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    I'm not very experienced, but I've nursed a couple sick/injured birds so far, and generally do these basic things:
    -keep her in a warm area
    -give her water with vitamin/electrolyte additive
    -offer her "special" food like scrambled eggs
    -warm water soak with Epsom salts daily [make sure she has draft free warm area to dry for several hours after - I use a dog crate in our bathroom, and space heater on low]

I think you can use basic antibiotic ointment on the wounds, as well, but make sure it's not the type with pain meds or other things added. Some people say honey, but I am not versed in that use of honey, so research before trying. I hope she gets better!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  3. Lorettachick

Lorettachick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    Southern Middle TN
    Thank you so much! I will certainly try your suggestions. I can't stand to see her hurting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by