Hen attacked by raccoon.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by midwestgal, Oct 12, 2016.

1. midwestgal

midwestgal New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    My 1 year old red hen was attacked by a raccoon last night. I gave her a oral dose of amoxicillin and out neosporin on her wound. Do you think she needs stitches? I can do it myself but don't want to do it if she doesn't need it. Thank you!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Venevee

Venevee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2016
    The wound appears fairly deep. Make sure you disinfect it often. I would definitely consider stitching her up if you can, just so that she doesn't get infected or very sick. Also, confine her and make sure she is comfortable with plenty of water and food. I had a hen attacked before, but she wasn't wounded, just very scared.

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I'm sure you have already, but I'd also rinse it out with saline water. Next step, pour a generous dose of chlorhexadine all in the wound. She won't like it, but it will allow you to skip the Neosporin part. You won't need to stitch her either.

You can get chlorhexidine at Walgreens by the hydrogen peroxide.

I personally advise against using ointments on deep, open wounds, because flies love warm, goopy crannies... and even a few maggots can turn into a nightmare. I also prefer chlorhexidine rather than hydrogen peroxide, as HP eats tissue and chickens have very delicate tissue.

I treated a hen with a gash in her side from a randy rooster with chlorhexidine, and she healed up great in my garage. Hardly a scar.

Also, increase her protein intake with some mashed up boiled eggs... It will help her rebuild tissue. :)

Sorry for your troubles... and welcome to BYC!!

MrsB

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by