Hen attacked by Raccoon

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gypsyma76, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Gypsyma76

Gypsyma76 New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    Hi, we had a bad night last night. We got 2 baby chicks in September & never had a chance to build our coop. Our girls are in an extra lg dog crate in our basement at night. My DD left the door unlocked & a coon got in... Not in the cage but blinded one of our girls. She hasn't eaten or drank anything since it happened (3am) I have her in the house resting with her sister. Her beak area is still bleeding a little, what can I do to treat her? Any & all suggestions are very much appreciated. [​IMG]

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    What type of injuries does she have? The raccoon was able to get into your basement? First stop the bleeding. More information is needed on wounds to give correct treatment advice.

3. Gypsyma76

Gypsyma76 New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    The coon was not able to get into the cage, I believe it just kept scratching & clawing her. There is not much blood at all but she has two lil cuts on her beak meat. They give off about a droplet of blood an hour. Her eyes are closed but when I look I can only see 1 eyeball. They keep oozing a clear pinkish liquid. What other info do you need, thanks so much [​IMG]

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    You are going to have to check her eyes,wipe them with a cloth soaked in warm water,you need to find out how much damage has been done to her eyes. Pinkish fluid indicates a scratch/wound,my concern is a scratched cornea.Give her electrolytes for shock,make sure she is kept warm,when ill/injured chickens cannot regulate their body temp. Encourage her to eat/drink,especially drinking water.

Once you determine the injury to her eyes if just a scratch i would purchase an antibiotic eye ointment,i use polysporin 2 antibiotics eye ointment for sties,this may not be available to you depending where you live,in this case find out from pharmacy what products you can use in the eye area,do not tell them it is for a chicken then they will not recommend anything to you.

Remember to NOT use anything that contains a "caine/cane" product as these ingredients are toxic to chickens.

Repost with injury information.

5. Gypsyma76

Gypsyma76 New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    Ten chicks, thank you so much.
    I'm going to do the warm cloth now. I'll take pics of damage.
    I'll try a few drug stores by me for the antibiotic clear, you suggested.
    I will update in a few.
    Thanks again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by