Hen attacked by Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mustangsaguaro, Jan 4, 2009.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Today when I got home I found one of my hens got attacked by one of my roosters. She was in the coop cowering in the corner. He got her really good on her back, plus she has about half the feather on her head missing and a small amount of blood. It's not bleeding though. This hen is a older hen and and the Rooster actually cockerel, he's 8 months old. This hen really has never laid eggs for me or if she has, she's got a good hiding place. She has never allowed the roosters to mate w/ her. However, today this rooster got her good. I have her by herself now in the coop locked up w/ food and water. I am due to go on vacation this Tues. to the following Tues. I plan on keeping her by herself until I return. In the meantime should I treat her wounds? They are really only superficial. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Kim

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:An old biddy who won't put out.

Probably talks too much, too.

I can empathize.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    If the wounds are superficial just put a little neosporin on them, and ask whoever's watching them for you do the same. She should be fine.

4. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Ouch!!!

That poor hen!

5. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Hope she is OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by