Hen attacked my cat!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by columbiacritter, Jun 26, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    My husband and I watched our youngest hen deliberately charge our cat who was just lolling in the grass. He held his ground for a breath then bolted with the hen in pursuit. So much for his ferocious reputation. [​IMG]

2. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Funny! My dachshund is so scared of the hens that she won't even make eye contact with them.

3. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:I wish I were this lucky. My Shih-Poo has already killed 2 of my chickens and we've rescued two other ones from her. I wish I knew how to stop her. Shes only 1 yr old and weighs 9 pounds.

And the story from the OP, that would have been hilarious to see. Where's the cam corder when you need it [​IMG]

4. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    One of our (timid) turkeys cornered our new neighbor's cat the other day. I had to lead her away so the cat could go home. I'm thinking kitty won't be coming around anymore. Heaven help her if she ever runs across our Christmas! Christmas took on an opossum last week and won so watch out little kitty.

5. JENx

JENx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Leicester, England
    My poor cat knows his place in the pecking order too! The lowest ranking chicken always goes for him!

6. DoodleLydoo

DoodleLydoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    I feed my outside cats on the back porch so I always have chicken visitors up there to eat cat food. If the cats are there and a chicken wants to eat, the cats go away. No way do they mess with the chickens!

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    It's the ducks that reall y make the cats life hard. He's a very fluffy cat and that long fluffy tail is like a magnet to the ducks. They think it's fascinating and oh sooo tasty looking. The cay used to go int he run looking for mice, but no more. He hunts outside the wire now.

8. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    wow all your stories, I've been thinking of getting a kitten lately because the rats have been coming around looking for food, but was worried the cat would go after chickens.
    so farI've been alright with the chickens and my chihuahua all but 1 was raised with him, so they dont mind him amongst them at all, he goes in the chicken run and looks to see if they left any table scraps.

9. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I have a young roo who likes to chase my jack russel! She runs from him....it's so darn funny!

You need to youtube the hen chasing the cat! [​IMG]

10. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I wish I were this lucky. My Shih-Poo has already killed 2 of my chickens and we've rescued two other ones from her. I wish I knew how to stop her. Shes only 1 yr old and weighs 9 pounds.

And the story from the OP, that would have been hilarious to see. Where's the cam corder when you need it [​IMG]

She chased them at first, and actually caught one once, but I was directly supervising and no harm was done. After that, the chickens started pecking her any time she came close or turned her back on them. They come up with beakful of reddish brown dog fur when they do it, so I imagine it smarts. The dog gives wide berth now, but is still not left unsupervised with them ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by