Hen Attacked Rooster??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by katelk, Oct 21, 2013.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    Today I was in the chicken yard and I have a bantam breed mix rooster who is the same size or smaller than all of my females. This guy can have a bad attitude (even though he is spoiled and has always been more like a pet) and today he ran up and started flogging me.
    When this happened one of my girls (she is actually the bottom if the pecking order and the smallest female) ran over and started attacking the rooster. They were rolling around fightig and she pulled out some of his head feathers and bloodied his comb before I got them apart.
    I have never heard of a female attacking a rooster and was curious about this behavior. The rooster is older than all of my females.
    I am wondering if this rooster should stay or go. He attacks me every chance he gets. I don't want him to breed with my girls for hatching, but he was my first bird and I am a bit emotionally attached. Any advice?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    That is a tough one. Now that she has beaten him up she is top pecking order. She may continue. I would separate them. Having a rooster that attacks you is not fun either. He attacks to keep you away from his perceived girls and her attacking might be her trying to acknowledge you as the leader of the flock.
    Caroline

4. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    Ok sorry if this sounds harsh but I had a rooster that I raised from day old. He was as mean as a hornets nest. I couldn't kill him. He was my baby until he drew blood and went after my son. That was when my emotional attachment got detached. He was very yummy in the crock pot. We have a no aggression to human rule. If they become aggressive they become dinner. But I have small children to watch out for. Just my experience.

5. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

This rooster has drawn blood on me just from biting. He is a big biter. When he starts to flog me I will pick him up and try holding him until he calms down, but he is reaching around biting at me the whole time.
    He never tries to attack my husband, which I don't understand because the chickens have always been my "job". The roo used to be a big baby and sleep in my lap and everything, but then his hormones showed up. Right now I only have immature pullets, the roo has a stuffed "mate" that he uses, but no real lady action. Might his attitude change once these ladies start laying?

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Personally, I'd invite him into the kitchen for dinner.

7. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    Ok so this little hen is still attacking the roo every chance she gets today. Is this normal pecking order behavior? I am just afraid the hen is going to get hurt, but should I let it happen?

8. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    Anyone have advice on whether I should let the hen and rooster fight it out?
    When they start I let it go for just a little bit to see if they will stop on their own. It is just pretty serious fighting with fluffed feathers and pulling out chunks of each other's feathers so it makes me nervous and I stop it. I am not sure how much fighting is too much.

Everything I have read online about introducing a roo to hens makes it seem like all the hens usually team up on him for a second, but the other girls don't seem to care at all when this fighting starts.
    I really need some advice!

Thanks ! :)

9. PineShavings

PineShavings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex

:D

10. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

I know I know lol
    He is not even a year old though and a silkie/cochin cross. He is basically all feathers and toes. :rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by