1. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    Something, guessing a raccoon, attacked one of my hens the other night. It ripped the skin off of her neck in a few places and all over her back. Suprisingly she is still alive. Rehabilitating in a trough in our basement. Here lies the problem, my wife has begun to baby her. to the point of making her baby cereal each day. Now the problem is that I can't get her to eat anything else. I tried the "give her only one choice and she'll get hungry enough to eat" method, but she beat me out by going three days without eating(and without drinking very much water). Do you think that the best course of action would be to leave her be since she is still on the mend, and then see how she acts when she is fully healed? I'll try to get pictures up later, but I warn you that they will be graphic.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Wean her off the baby cereal. It would be better providing her buttermilk mixed with scrambled egg to eat. Buttermilk is a probiotic to help build her immune system and scrambled egg is extra protein to help build her strength. Then about the 5th day or so, mix some of her feed into the mixture. Continue this until she recovers and eventually stop the buttermilk/eggs over time.
    Treat her wounds with neosporin. This injury will take time for your hen to heal, be patient.

3. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    thanks for the reply. she is healing nicely, just not eating regular feed well. thanks for the tip about the butter milk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by