Hen attacking new hen

studebakerchick

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2015
Im new to chickens, I was given two americauna hens and a roo. ive had them for a little over a month. I bought two new hens an americauna and a golden sexlink. Now one of my original hens is attacking one of the new hens, i have them seperated but still where they can see each other. Is this something they will work out over time or is there something i could do to help. Thanks

I always separate the bully, not the one being picked on. In my case tho I have been lucky enough that it was A bully and not multiple bullies. Then the bully has to be reintroduced to the flock and make its way back up the pecking order after the one it picked on has been able to get comfortable. It works for me. Maybe something you can try if this continues.

Side by side penning is the best way to go, the other way is to throw them together and hope no one gets killed. It will take a long time for existing adult hens to accept other adult hens, though sometimes a rooster will take them into his flock and protect them, don't rush things and keep trying.

Oldhenlikesdogs, Thanks for the advice i will build her, her own section in the coop. Tonight i have her in a large dog cage with hay, food, and water. I hope they will all get along soon.

Sometimes, separating the bully can change the dynamics and allow the bullied one to get more secure. Good luck!

Last edited:
My chickens have run the gamut of violence. In every case but one everything has worked out over time, but my last pullet had to be separated from the flock or be killed. She was not only attacked by my birds, but but my neighbor birds too. It could be that she had some deficiency that only other chickens could see. Things eventually worked out when I put her in with my new chicks, they all get along well although she's still solitary. If things get too bad for too long, consider re-homing or swapping with someone.

Back
Top Bottom