Hen attacking other hen???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FeatheryFeet, Oct 15, 2014.

1. FeatheryFeet

FeatheryFeet In the Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    Australia
    I just woke up this morning from loud, high pitched BGAWWK's coming from the silkies. I looked out the window and I saw Olly chasing Snowball, and they are both sisters.. I also noticed when Olly came by snowball, Snowball kinda puffed out, stuck her butt in the air and put her head down?? Even when snowball is eating Olly comes a long and starts pecking her. I think they have calmed down know but what was going on?

Thanks.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Are you sure Olly is a hen? That sounds like it could be cockerel/pullet behavior. Even if they are both girls, pecking order does change occasionally over time, so they may just have been having a little spat now and again over who is higher ranking.

3. FeatheryFeet

FeatheryFeet In the Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    Australia
    Olly is a hen as she lays eggs and is broody although she does act like a pullet a lot! My mum always says Olly thinks she's a rooster. They have calmed down but I thought this was just interesting as they have never done it before. Thanks for the reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: