Hen attacking other hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jjdent, Dec 3, 2013.

1. jjdent

jjdent Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    I have a pair of Black Australorps (hen and rooster) that were raised together since birth. I recently added a couple of Wyandottes and six red sex links to fill out my flock. The Australorp hen is the youngest, about 7 months, not yet mating or laying, but is by far the largest. The reds are laying daily and are a bit less than a year old. The rooster is the same age as the hen, and is really coming into maturity. He is going crazy, dancing around the reds and mating sometimes six times a day. When he mounts one of the reds, however, the Australorp hen will bite the red on the head the whole time he has her mounted, pulling out feathers. When he is done, everything goes back to normal. Until it is time to enter the coop for the night. If one of the reds dares perch next to the rooster, the black hen will lock beaks with her and throw her down onto the floor. It's quite a ruckus. If the red does not move from her perch, the Australorp will continue pecking and biting in the middle of her back for a good while. Also, the hen and roo keep a tight ship in the yard, pecking and chasing the two Wyandottes into submission at all times, chasing them away from food and from their general area, which I guess is typical. Overall, the flock seems to have reached a decent cohesion, all ten of them eating together, basking/resting/dust-bathing together, and watering together for the most part. Just wondering if someone can give me some insight into the functioning of my flock, as this is my very first time at this. They all seem healthy and active, and forage aggressively.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It all sounds like normal pecking order behaavior, including the roost squabbles. I would wager he is mating a lot more often than six times daily.

3. jjdent

jjdent Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    alright, thanks so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by