Hen attacks dog?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ninjakitty1, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Ninjakitty1

Ninjakitty1 New Egg

Sep 16, 2013
    Hello. So here is what is happening. I have three hens. A RIR, a Red Star sex link, and a Amerucuana. Whenever I let my 14 year old terrier out, the RIR likes to chase him down and peck him hard. My dog tries to avoid her but she chases him. The other girls leave him alone. Here is the thing, the RIR is the sweetest hen I have to people. She loves to be picked up and petted and will jump up on your shoulder. Oh, one more thing. I got this one from my neighbor. This hen saw her sister get taken out by a dog before I got her. She is at the bottom of the pecking order as well in my flock of 3. Any ideas on how to get her to stop attacking my dog? I'm worried that she is either going to peck his eye or he will get tired of her attacks and take her out as well. Any advice?

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    [​IMG]

That is a great story!

Chickens are smarter than we think so she likely does associated the dog with the death of her sister(with good reason--Do not trust the dog)

I keep the chickens and the dog away from each other.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by