Hen becoming “rooster” what to expect?

K_UU

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
Ontario, Canada
So I know she likely has an ovary injury, but I’m wondering if anyone who’s had a hen do this, can tell me what else to expect.
My 3 year old Speckled Sussex, Peppa, who has been a good layer (and we have a few of her chicks now laying as well) has always had a tiny spur. Mid summer I noticed it growing, late summer a second one appeared and she now has a full set. Then one day I saw her drop her wing and dance around another hen. She stopped laying and is now crowing.
What I’m wondering is, when she molts will she grow in more rooster-like? Will her sweet demeanor change? She’s my favourite, dumb as a stump hen. She’s so friendly. So far she still lets me let her (and still squats). Anything else I should expect?

Hi! I hope this answers your question.

The wing dance and crow can be a sign of dominance to the other chickens. My hens do this, and nothing is wrong with them.

I wouldn’t worry much!
No, her looks won’t change and her personality towards you should stay the same.

Mini update: She has molted a bit, just her neck feathers but too soon to tell if they are going to come in differently. She has really improved her crowing voice lol. So far no personality changes, and no mounting.

Back
Top Bottom