Hen becoming aggressive?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mnied01, Feb 21, 2016.

1. mnied01

mnied01 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2015
    Pa
    Hello, just a question. I have a hen that has started coming after us and pecking us when we pick up the other chickens in our flock. She tries to peck us as we're picking them up but once they're in our arms she's fine. Any idea why she would start doing this?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Are you absolutely sure she's a hen? Picture? Otherwise, she could be demonstrating misplaced excitement. Sometimes when a roo is breeding a hen, one of the other hens will get into the fray and starting pecking the hen being bred. This may be what you're seeing.

3. mnied01

mnied01 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2015
    Pa
    I'm 100% sure she lays eggs LOL

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I've experienced what humans would term "jealousy" within my flock. One girl would not just peck me, but jump up and peck me if i held another flock member. A few words and a tap on her beak when she did it put things right (after a while).

CT

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've had this happen too.....not sure why they do it, but a sharp 'peck' (with fingertip or two) on the head usually stops it.
    One pullet got real aggressive, started when I put another pullet down after holding her, then she came at me the next time I walked into coop.
    I held her down on ground with my hand on her back, pulled at the feathers on back of neck, 'pecked' her on the head and she never did it again.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You must have been the biggest and scariest "chicken" in the world to her at that moment! [​IMG]

CT

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by