Hen behaviour

Lucrest

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2016
Hi I'm new to the site but I'm desperate for help.

For the last two weeks my hen have on and off shown odd behaviour like she doesn't feel well. She's especially shown it since my other hen became broody and sat on the eggs. She is drinking water and occasionally eats, her poop is watery with greenish and white blips, and she's standing in one spot with her wings down and bum puffed up.

She was fine this morning but I read it might be the heat? It has becoming warmer the past few weeks. I'm so worried and I don't know what to do and I don't have the money to get a vet. Are there natural products I could use?

How hot exactly is it? Is their poop stuck to her feathers? You said her wings were drooping but is she panting? And is the broody hen showing any signs of heat stress? It would be odd for only one to have problems with the heat and not the other. Unless their different breeds.

They're both the same breed and the broody hen seems OK. The temperature has been around 26-27°C and i haven't really seen her panting. There are lots of shade spaces for her. I don't see poop stuck to her. So I don't know what to do...

I noticed a little bit of poop on her feathers and she walking around normally and eating. Like nothing happened. So weird

That is odd. You may want to check your feed store for a probiotics supplement to add to their water. Either Sav-a-chick probiotic or Probios are good for chickens. That's all I can think of for the diarrhea since I'm not sure what's causing it. It would also be good if you could find an avian vet to take her too if it gets worse.

Thanks I'll give the probiotics a try.
1f603.png
I really hope she doesn't get worse.

Thanks I will. I've found a vet close by that works with chickens. I'm trying to get some money together to take her if she's worse.

Back
Top Bottom