hen behaviour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by catdance62, Jul 31, 2008.

1. catdance62

catdance62 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2007
    One of our red hens was picking out a box this morning, so my hubby kept her in the run/coop area and let the other ones out (we let them out to run all day, and bring them in at night). None of our hens have layed eggs yet, but they are the rright age and we've seen the rooster on her. Well, after about 5 minutes she started hollering for the rest of the flock so he let her back out. We want her to lay eggs in the coop and not out in the bush! what to do? I hate to isolate her ffrom the rest of the flock. The reason we have to keep the door to the run closed during the day is because it opens up to where we keep some of our goats and they will go in there and eat what's left of the food etc. (and generally mess everything up--you know how curious goats are).

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

When I saw how you spelled behaviour I knew this had to be a Canadian hen!

I suspect you'll need some modifications to your set-up, if that is possible. If she can't come and go she may get neurotic about being with the others, and if deprived of a private nesting spot she may get panicky and the eggs will be as elusive as Easter eggs! Is there some way to make a chute from the coop to the run? Or can you make an outdoor nesting box? I'm wondering how practical it's going to be, especially in bad weather, to be searching for eggs.

[​IMG]

3. catdance62

catdance62 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2007
    Thanks for the info--I'll have to brainstorm some ideas.
    Actually the spelling is probably because I lived in post-colonial Nigeria growing up and as a result was educated by British teachers! My hubby is a Canadian though! We live in hot hot hot SW Arkansas!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by