Hen being aggressive to other hen..

Krah24

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 30, 2013
My hen Tweeter has always been sweet but she is also the dominant hen of the bunch.
I have had these hens for two years now. Last year Tweeter started the pecking order with Gumball (my other hen) and like I said, Tweeter came out the boss.
All as been fine between the two.. They were like BFF-always together.
Then one day (about 3 or 4 months ago) Tweeter became broody.
We got her some farm eggs and they hatched.
As expected Tweeter and Gumball no longer hung out..
When the chicks were about 2 months old Tweeter separated herself from the chicks and she an Gumball have been hanging out ever since.. The problem is that Tweeter has been REALLY aggressive towards Gumball.
She keeps attacking her for no reason.
Gumball can be no where near her and Tweeter will come out of nowhere and attack her. Or sometimes they're just standing next to each other.
Gumball never challenges Tweeter and she never fights back either, there's also plenty of water, food and room to roam.. What's the problem?
This morning I came out and there were feathers all over my back porch!
I checked Gumball and sure enough she's missing a lot of feathers!
She has been attacking her constantly for about a month or more now.
It's so bad that Gumball is becoming really timid which isn't like her.. :/

Is this normal? Please tell me it will pass!
Or is there something I need to do?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I would isolate Tweeter away from the flock for a week or so, out of earshot, then return her. This should put her lower in the pecking order when she returns. It's a method often described here ofr dealing with a "bully."

would this also work on baby chicks? I have 3 rode island reds that are 4 weeks old and 1 armerucana and its 3 weeks old and a lot smaller and she is the one doin all the pluckin. She plucks the feathers out and they bleed and squawk. They have been together 2 weeks.

would this also work on baby chicks? I have 3 rode island reds that are 4 weeks old and 1 armerucana and its 3 weeks old and a lot smaller and she is the one doin all the pluckin. She plucks the feathers out and they bleed and squawk. They have been together 2 weeks.

That's somewhat unusual, having a chick doing that much damage. Could there be some reason that they are all stressed? How much space do they have? How hot is it? What color bulb are you using?

If she's drawing blood, then I would separate her, yes. I'd also try to get to the root of the problem.

I am also having this problem. Only all of my hens are ganging up on one little hen. First one was after her & now most of the others have joined in. We tried isolating the attackers for over 2 weeks, but as soon as we put them back they went right for her. It got so bad that we have separated her. After dark she goes into the coop, but we get her out before it gets light, and put her in a tractor. We can't leave her outside in the tractor all day in the winter. Someone suggested debeaking the attackers. I don't know if that would help, and if I did - wouldn't I have to debeak them all? Please I really need some advise.

Cheryl

I am also having this problem. Only all of my hens are ganging up on one little hen. First one was after her & now most of the others have joined in. We tried isolating the attackers for over 2 weeks, but as soon as we put them back they went right for her. It got so bad that we have separated her. After dark she goes into the coop, but we get her out before it gets light, and put her in a tractor. We can't leave her outside in the tractor all day in the winter. Someone suggested debeaking the attackers. I don't know if that would help, and if I did - wouldn't I have to debeak them all? Please I really need some advise.

Cheryl

You do not need to debeak your birds. You can use a product called Peepers to stop the bullies from seeing the end of their beaks, which will stop them from being able to peck her as effectively. http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/pinless_peepers.html You can put the peepers on the bullies for a month, then take them off and see if the picking starts up again. If it does, then put the peepers back on.

If all the flock members are ganging up on one hen, however, you might rehome the hen. Seems like she's being told that she's not welcome in this flock. It happens.

But answers to ur questions. I have a white light and i read to get a read one so im gonna go get a red one today and try that. If it doesnt wok then im gonna take the ameruacana out.

Back
Top Bottom