Hen being aggressive

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sisters Farms, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Sisters Farms

Sisters Farms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2014
    Cordova, alabama
    im very new to the chicken farming. I've only had my coop for 2 day. Today my oldest (1year) black Australorp started being aggressive with my other hens. She's not aggressive with the rooster. Is this normal or should I do something? Thanks for your advice

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello & welcome [​IMG] It sounds like she asserting her dominance over the others. How long have they all been together?? Is there enough space for everyone? anything new in their routine? As long as she isn't causing injury, it's best to just let it be. If blood is drawn or feathers are picked relentlessly, it's time to separate her for a while. Asserting pecking order is never pretty.........[​IMG]

3. Sisters Farms

Sisters Farms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2014
    Cordova, alabama
    They've just been put together. I think it was the pecking order thing. No blood and Nothing to bad. Just hadn't seen it happen. It had me a little worried, you know new owner and all

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Ok - so expect some aggression for a few days until everybody has got themselves sorted out.....worrying isn't it?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by